Design Review COMMITTEE (DRC)
Most villages in El Dorado Hills require the Design Review Committee (DRC), or an Architectural Control Committee (ACC), to approve project plans prior to performing any exterior improvements to your property or lot. You will need to submit the appropriate DRC application, accompanying documents, application fees, and receive DRC approval, prior to starting any exterior property improvement or new home build. Application fees are doubled if work has begun prior to receiving DRC approval.
DESIGN REVIEW APPROVAL IS REQUIRED for most exterior property improvements, as well as, new home construction in El Dorado Hills. Check the Enforcement Authority Table to see if your property is managed by the District or by a Home Owners Association (HOA).
Property improvements involving the exterior of your home or property include, but are not limited to, tree removal, exterior paint, roofing, fencing, retaining walls, swimming pools, solar, landscaping, certain remodels, room additions, new home construction, etc.
Your property's Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs) will specify what you can and cannot do with your lot and what improvements require DRC or ACC approval. The CC&Rs for your property can be found here.
If your village has its own Architectural Control Committee, then you will need to contact your HOA for their review process and guidelines. Click for list of contacts for villages NOT reviewed by the District
Design Review Committee Application Process
- Design Review Committee (DRC) meetings are held in person on most Tuesdays at 8:00am. If a District Holiday falls on a Thursday, Friday and/or Monday, then there will be no DRC meeting scheduled for the following Tuesday. If a District Holiday falls on a Tuesday, then there is no meeting scheduled that week.
- The Deadline to submit complete applications, including all supporting documents and payments, to potentially be added to a DRC agenda, is 5:00pm on the Tuesday prior to the next scheduled meeting.
- Electronic submission of applications and supporting documents is desired. Please review the application checklist carefully to ensure you have met all of the requirements for submission.
- If you are unable to submit electronically, or if you have any questions, please email the Resident Services Office for assistance.
- When an application is listed on a DRC agenda, the property owner and/or representative will be emailed a copy of the agenda. Each applicant is encouraged, although not required, to attend the meeting in which their item will be reviewed.
- If an application is held-over, the applicant will be notified, by email, regarding outstanding items needed in order for the Committee to complete the review process.
- Outstanding items are to be submitted by Tuesday prior to the next scheduled meeting, since applicants have 30 days from the date the initial application was submitted to have their project approved or denied.
- The approved Minutes from the DRC meeting will be emailed to the property owner and/or authorized agent within 48 hours following the meeting.
Design Review Applications & Fees
Click on the links to go to each online application.
Application fees are doubled if work has begun prior to receiving DRC approval.
Property Improvement Application
|Room Addition or Remodel within existing Footprint
(No Change to Roofline)
|Addition or Remodel with change in roofline , Structures over 120 sqft and ADUs||$425.00|
|New Home Application||$1,100.00|
|Encroachment Permit||$75/occurrence; $500 deposit|
Do you own a home in El Dorado Hills?