The El Dorado Hills Community Services District was formed on May 21, 1962, by County Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 98-62 and under Government Code §61600 as an independent special district. The District serves a large, densely developed suburban population located east of the Sacramento County Line and mostly north of Highway 50. Major access roads/inhabited corridors include Highway 50, El Dorado Hills Boulevard, Silva Valley Parkway, Green Valley Road, Francisco Drive, Salmon Falls Road, Bass Lake Road, and Latrobe Road. The District boundary encompasses approximately 28 square miles (18,079 square acres) and the District serves the most populated community in the county.
The District owns and manages approximately 535 acres of land including 254 acres of parks and 281 acres of open space. We have a full-time staff of 27 park and recreation professionals and support staff, in addition to over 150 part-time and seasonal employees. Our annual budget is over $8 million.
Vision, Mission, and Core Values
We will be recognized as the premier park, recreation, and local community services organization with a passion for providing excellent services and facilities and protecting the quality of life and environment of the community.
In pursuing our vision, we will maintain an environment that encourages integrity, creativity, a spirit of excitement, personal growth, and ensures a high level of customer satisfaction.
Improve the quality of life for the El Dorado Hills community through responsible leadership and by providing superior services and facilities.
Our Core Beliefs and Values
We have a set of timeless, enduring beliefs that are ingrained in the way we think and act. These values guide our choices, defining for us the right courses of action, the clearest directions, and the preferred responses. Consistent with these values we set our objectives, formulate our strategies, and judge our results. By embracing these values, we will achieve our ultimate vision and core purpose.
1. Our foundation is based on uncompromising Integrity.
We are committed to conduct our business in an ethical and professional manner, in compliance with applicable laws regulations and codes; so, we are correctly perceived to be an ethical and professional organization of dedicated and competent individuals of the highest integrity and credibility, producing quality, value added services that contribute significantly to the needs of our customers and community.
2. We are dedicated to Excellence.
We are committed to strive to be the Community Services District of choice by:
- Continuously improving as we pursue Excellence in every aspect of our business.
- Being fiducially responsible and efficient in the use of the resources entrusted to us.
- Eliminating waste and bureaucracy.
- Understanding that our customers define quality.
- Being dedicated to consistently exceeding our customer's expectations.
- Continually striving to provide the very best in service and value.
- Taking individual and organizational ownership and responsibility for actions and their results.
- Embracing the value of change.
3. We are dedicated to Customer Service.
Exceeding our customers’ expectations in quality, service, and value is vital to the success of the Community Services District.
We are committed to exceeding our customer's expectations and to maintain their trust and loyalty by:
- Being ethical and professional in all our dealings with our customers.
- Being a responsive, effective, and cost-efficient organization that supplies value-added quality services that exceed our customers’ expectations.
- Striving to continually understand and meet the changing expectations of our customers through teamwork, empowerment, and innovation.
- Recognizing the value of sustainability.
4. Our strength is in our People.
The collective talents of our employees comprise our most important asset.
We are committed to providing an organization and operating environment that attracts, nurtures, stimulates, and rewards employee professionalism and creativity. Our success will be achieved only through Inspired People operating in an environment that promotes:
- Integrity and excellence.
- Mutual trust, respect, and dignity.
- Openness, sharing, and honesty.
- Empowerment and teamwork.
- Passion and commitment.
- Innovation and risk taking.
- The recognition and sharing of accomplishments of success and rewards of achievement.
- The value of diversity.
5. We recognize the value of Sustainability.
Preservation of our natural resources and park infrastructure is of the highest importance.
We are committed to providing policy and operational procedures that protect the environment and encourage employees and the community to be informed, sensitive, and passionate about protecting our natural resources:
- Understanding our natural system.
- Stewardship of the built and natural system.
- Maintaining versatile resources.
- Flexibility to address changing technology and demographics.
- Preservation of legacy for future generations.
Sphere of Influence
The area within our current Community Services District and sphere of influence is about 32 square miles (20,601 square acres). Our sphere of influence includes areas that may be considered for annexation to the District or may be amended from time to time by the El Dorado County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO.)
The physical characteristics of the District offer tremendous opportunities for recreation. Much of El Dorado Hills consists of gently rolling to steep terrain, and because flat ground is rare, there are few opportunities for traditional parklands with large turf areas.
Two major north-south trending ridgelines form two long valleys that drain to New York Creek (the American River Watershed) as it flows north to Folsom Lake. From approximately Harvard Way, the two valleys drain south to the Cosumnes River Watershed. Residential development has occurred throughout the area on all but the steepest hillsides, which remain as open space and contribute to the rural character of the community.
The current strategic plan for the District can be found here.